When work takes you on the road, unexpected obstacles are a given. You can’t prevent that flight delay or last minute location change for the big meeting. But there are easy ways to minimize the stress of your business trip.
Here are our favourite ways to stay organized during work travel:
- Make lists. When you’re on the run, mentally juggling your to-do list, it’s easy to forget that boarding pass or evening conference call. Make a list for packing and trip preparation and once you’re away, make daily to-do lists.
- Establish a routine. Whether you travel for business regularly or just on rare occasion, it’s important to build routine into the trip. If your days at home begin with a workout or meditation, don’t skip it. A good on-the-road routine will keep your day structured, like at home.
- Take a moment for yourself. It can seem impossible during a business trip with a packed schedule, but even if you only have five minutes, take time for yourself. That could be a short walk, a coffee on the balcony or a bedtime bath. When you’re properly tended to, you do your best work.
- Organize your essentials. Work trips are a bust without the essentials, like business cards or your phone charger. Find your system — an agenda or laptop bag, for example — and keep it stocked. Then, never leave home without it.
- Your day begins with chaos and disorganization if you have to rummage through your suitcase for clothes. Instead, unpack upon arrival, giving your morning ritual more of an organized, home-base feel.
- Keep your documents in one place. Whether it’s the iPhone’s wallet app, or a document pocket in your agenda, find a go-to place for boarding passes, hotel confirmations and frequent flyer cards.
What’s your system for business travel? Let us know your tips, in the comments.